Wednesday, August 15, 2007

78. 30 Day Challenge Day 15

It dawned on me today that on Ed’s 30 Day Challenge videos, he can always get his RSS feeds at the click of a button (the little orange square in the url bar). And that’s why it only takes him seconds to find content for blog posts and articles.

I got really hung up on RSS feeds last year, and subsequently have been manually going round places to get content for my existing blogs.

Today the penny finally dropped as to just how important these feeds are as they save so much time. So I didn’t look at any of today’s training material. If I’m to write the rest of my short articles in record time to catch up, I need to do things properly.

So I tried to sort out getting all the relevant feeds into Bloglines, so that I too can find content quickly.

Unfortunately, the very first site I looked at had a problem with it’s RSS icon, but I didn’t know that. I thought it was me that was doing it wrong. So after a panic gmail text chat with Asbjorn (what would I do without him?) he told me where to find an alternative feed for that site.

I then spent ages trying to work out how to organise my feeds and folders in Bloglines, but then it clicked.

Once I worked out how to do it, I found that sometimes, it wouldn’t work first time, but it would work the second time. On one, it took five attempts, and I did exactly the same thing each time, but I stuck with it, as I knew it had worked before.

Once I was confident that I could do it properly, you couldn’t stop me building feeds to get content for my existing blogs. Now I’m dead chuffed I finally got it.

This afternoon, I was panicking that I was falling behind, and wouldn’t be able to finish my short articles on time, but I’m not worried now, as I now think it will be easy for me to catch up.

It’s slightly annoying that Bloglines keeps changing the order of my folders, seemingly for no reason, but it’s not a big problem.

Quickly had time just to check what work I’d missed on the 30DCIII Training page, and there’s only one video for today.

No comments: