Friday, August 31, 2007

88. 30DC put on hold

My hard disc seems to be corrupt, so I can't do a complete copy of it. For several days I have not been able to right click on my temp files to get rid of them, or delete them in any other way. What happens is, Windows Explorer either freezes, or just instantly shuts down.

Now it has got even worse. I cannot delete, copy, rename or do anything else with any other file or folder!

The only way I can copy a file is to left click on it, and click 'copy this file' on the left, then it gives me a box for the destination.

Also, whenver I go into any boxes like System box within Control Panel, the whole PC just freezes.

I've been on the phone to Microsoft for four hours on Wed and six hours on Thurs, and he's phoning me back again today. I've tried two offline complete scans, and four online scans.

He wants to make a new username, transfer everything across, then delete the old username (with corrupt files). I have transferred some files myself and tried to use Windows Explorer in the new user account, but it still won't work.

So I'm not confident that his plan will work. He's been a tech for years and has never come across this problem. My PC won't even let me do a System Restore - at all!

So I just want to get everything I need to put on a new computer, via my external hard drive, but I’m not sure that’s possible. I already looked at iTunes in my new user account, and three years worth of songs are gone. I don't know how to get to keep them. Most were paid for and downloaded, and I don't have them on CD.

I’ll just be spending the morning trying to salvage what files and folders I can before the MS tech rings me back.

To cap it all, I was still only on Day 23 of the 30DC before all this happened. I'm still able to watch some videos, but my system is so unreliable, I can't do much work at all.

Still earning all four stars, every day, as I've been doing ewverything I can. Non of this disaster has come about through laziness!

I guess I tempted fate by saying on Tuesday that I love my life - that'll teach me!

No comments: